K & K Twirlers Contest
Saturday, February 4, 2017
THE PROGRAM BOOK FOR THE K&K CONTEST WILL BE AVAILABLE 2 DAYS BEFORE THE CONTEST
Location: Washington High School, Fremont
Late Fee Deadline: Monday, January 9, 2017
FINAL Deadline: Monday, January 16, 2017
Checks Payable to: K & K Productions
Send Entries to:
1161 Chopin Terrace #100
Fremont, CA 94538
E-mail & Paypal info: firstname.lastname@example.org
(3% paypal fee MUST be included)
Letter from Kristine Rodrigues to California Baton Council Members, Parents, Coaches, and Athletes:
The California Baton Council would like to welcome you to the 2016-2017 baton twirling season. We have a few changes and highlights for this upcoming season. First off, I would like to start by introducing the 2016-2017 CBC Board Officers and Board of Directors. Without this wonderful group of dedicated women and men, this season would not be possible!
The CBC Board Officers are:
President: Kristine Rodrigues
Vice President: Sarah Enos (First time Board Member and VP!)
Secretary: Kaleo Crawford (First time Board Member and Officer!)
Treasurer: Tina Allman
The CBC Board of Directors are: Cynthia Barden, Jeannie DiPaola, Barbara Dockter, Irene Mazzini, Kellie Perelman, Alex Garibay, Jennifer Sawin and Mark Nash. We welcome Alex, Jennifer and Mark as being a first time Board of Directors. Thank you Paige Campbell Kurtis Hubbell, Krystal Mignone, Julia McCrone, and Karla Hubbell for their hard work and dedication to the Board this past year!
We are planning another full season this year starting with our December event. Below are important dates:
December 10, 2016
Nash Twirling Academy – Sacramento/Lincoln General Area
SPECIAL ENTRY FORM FOR NASH TWIRLING ACADEMY CONTEST DECEMBER 10, 2016
January 13, 2017 – January 15, 2017
Pan Pacific Games – Stockton
February 4, 2017
K & K Twirlers – Fremont
February 25, 2017
Valley Baton Club – San Jose Area
March 11, 2017 (Tentative)
National College & High School Competition – Leavenworth, KS
March 18, 2017
Central Valley Baton Twirling Competition, Dazzling Diamondettes & K & K Twirlers – Washington H.S., Fremont
April 8, 2017
Buckeye Cuties – Redding
April 29, 2017
PHMC – Brentwood/Folsom
May 20, 2017 – May 21, 2017
State Championships – Heritage High School, Brentwood
June 17, 2017 – June 18, 2017
Western Regionals – TBD
July 10, 2017 – July 15, 2017
National Championships – Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2017 – August 5, 2017
Grand Prix – Peroc, Croatia
August 7, 2017 – August 17, 2017
International Cup – Peroc, Croatia
Depending upon gym availability the competitions may be on the Sunday of the same weekend. We will update our website and Facebook page as gym confirmations are made.
- For the safety of our athletes and your own safety, we are asking that parents do not enter the floor. For clarity, the floor is the entire floor area, not just the part used for the competition. Parents and family members should remain in the stands. The Competition Director and the Board Members will ensure that the floor is clear for the safety of the athletes.
- Once the music begins, there must NOT be any walking back and forth on the floor, for the respect and safety of the athletes. The Competition Director and the Board Members will be monitoring to ensure the athletes’ safety.
- Competition Directors have the discretion on how the tables are arranged at the competition. Facility and competition size is all taken into consideration. You may see some competitions set up like the Nationals format – where all tables are facing the audience. It is critical that #2 above is strictly followed with ANY set-up, but this format (if utilized by the competition director) it is critical.
- Coaches and parents are reminded not to approach the judge’s table. Only coaches can discuss scoring with the judges and that conversation occurs after completion of the competition.
- Coaches, please do not stand directly behind the lane your athlete is performing in. Stand off to the side of the competition floor.
- Parents and coaches, please be familiar with the USTA rules regarding the number of wins for each level. The CBC does not monitor or track these results, so please ensure that you are tracking your athlete’s wins, and entering the appropriate category. For more information on the number of wins, please see Chapter 3 of the USTA Rule Book. You can locate the USTA Rule Book on www.ustwirling.com under Members Only, then in the Documents tab. The win information is also on the entry form.
Please remember all wins at First places won at any level of competition in an event count toward advancement in that event. In advancing from one level to the next (beginner to intermediate, etc.) the USTA DOES recognize other twirling association wins in that respective event. The only exception is in the strut event, where the USTA DOES NOT recognize any other twirling association wins in the strut event.
- Please limit activity at the announcers table. If a Coach, Parent or Judge needs to discuss a matter with the Competition Director, please keep it brief or wait till the end of the competition.
- We will continue the IC/World critique fundraiser, however, we are changing the name and who receives the benefit of the donations. It will now be called Critique Fundraiser (C/F) and 75% of the funds collected will be provided directly to the CBC athletes attending the World or International Cup event. The remaining 25% will go back to the CBC.
- Compulsories: Will continue to remain a part of the set system with assigned lanes, and set numbers, or may occur during Foundation events in a separate lane or room.
- Team awards: Team Awards will be announced right after Minute to Spin. The announcement will allow the teams who place within their category to receive recognition.
- We will continue a couple of non-sanctioned events. We will continue the Flag & Rifle event and we are excited to announce that we will continue to include the High School/Collegiate show routine. This routine will be done to your fight song, band music or your own music and is intended to be either a half-time or field show routine. This event will occur during the freestyle event ($25) and the judges will provide critique similar to the freestyle events. CBC is very supportive of our athletes performing for their school and excited to see these fun and peppy routines.
- The CBC is proud to announce a new non-sanctioned event titled “Recreation” foundation events; Basic Strut, Military Strut, Parade March and Presentation will be a non-competitive event, event for those athletes working towards the transition of recreational program to the competitive program. The athlete needs to be a member (various memberships are available). The event will be $2, and the participant will receive an evaluation sheet. These sheets will be provided at the same time that awards would be normally provided. Again, this is a non-competitive event. No awards will be provided, no costumes are required, and an evaluation sheet will be provided.
Again this season, programs will be provided on the CBC website. We will be emailing a DRAFT program on Monday before the competition to all competition attendees, coaches, and judges for review. Any changes should be reported immediately to the Competition Director and the FINAL program will be posted on the CBC website Wednesday before the competition. Please print out if you would like a hard-copy as programs will not be provided at the competition.
Other than the new non-sanctioned event, there are no changes to the format of the competitions.
Please ensure that the parent’s email address is on the entry form (instead of the athlete) as we use the entry email address to send periodic information and updates. We will also be sending the DRAFT program to the address on the entry form.
There are at least two ways for you to donate funds to the CBC: E-Scrip: Register your debit/credit cards and with every purchase at participating merchants a certain percentage of your purchase will go directly to the CBC. If you participate in the survey after your purchase (sent to you via email) you can double your E-Scrip donation. Employer matching program: Certain employers will match your donation to a non-profit organization. Kaiser is one such organization and the past several years the CBC has received a large donation from Kaiser. A big thank you to those CBC members who work, participate and donate through Kaiser.
Membership and Booster Membership:
Are you a member of the CBC? This season we are hoping to increase our membership in all three categories. The CBC has provided a new benefit for all CBC Members. Get your CBC membership today as CBC Members will have access to ALL photos taken at local and State competitions. The photos will be access via a website and password. The CBC is in the process of finalizing all details – and will provide additional information before the first competition on this new benefit for all members. Kurtis Hubbell is CBC’s Membership Coordinator. Please see Kurtis for any questions or additional information.
The local competition entry forms are attached and will be on the website shortly. Please remember the State competition entry form is different and is currently being updated. It will be available on the website once complete. Also, please keep an eye on the entry fee due dates.
Each competition – except State – will have two deadlines. Please make note of the entry deadlines. Again, this season late entries WILL NOT be accepted. In an effort to ensure that the competition program is correctly updated on Monday and the correct awards are available for our athletes, we MUST comply with the deadlines. This is consistent with the National Competition. Please mark your calendar.
Minute to Spin It:
Thank you to Paige Campbell for facilitating this extremely fun event for all. We will continue this event again this season. Following compulsories, Paige will announce the twirl/or skill – and every participant who completes the task will be recognized with a special treat! THIS IS A FREE EVENT OPEN TO ALL ATHLETES, AND NON-ATHLETES, OF ALL LEVELS! We look forward to having more judges, coaches, parents, dads, grandparents, council members, etc. out on the floor to participate!
The WOW Twirler is an athlete which displays extraordinary sportsmanship during our competitions. Congratulations to Baylee Pine (2012), Jenna Arlie (2013), Jacey Callahan (2014), Kira O’Grady (2015), and Faith Bellinger (2106) who have been deserving recipients. Anyone can submit nominations each competition in the WOW Twirler box located at the membership table if you see any act of kindness or sportsmanship. The Board looks forward to reading all the wonderful entries and the WOW Twirler will be announced during the State competition.
PHMC Theme and Essay Questions:
The Patsy Hamilton Memorial Competition (PHMC) is an annual baton twirling competition dedicated to the memory of Patsy. Patsy loved to write and had just renewed that love by taking some writing classes, just prior to her untimely passing at a baton competition. Thus the reasons for our essay contest each year in her honor. Patsy’s husband Bud, and daughters Cindy and Lori look forward to judging the essays each year. It is important to all members of the council to keep her memory alive. Here is a quote by Cindy, Patsy’s daughter, “Over the years it’s been wonderful to read the thoughts of competitors, ranging in age from about 5 to 17, on what life lessons the sport of baton twirling teaches. Mom was also a writer and she would be delighted about the nature of this legacy!” The theme for 2017 PHMC is a topic inspired by Patsy, a book theme. The question for the essay is:
Write your own fictional baton twirling story.
Please handwrite your entry on one side of an 8 ½ X 11 piece of paper. Entries must be mailed to Cynthia Barden, 3477 Park Blvd, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. No email entries are accepted. Please mail (must be postmarked) all entries no later than April 4, 2017.
High School Seniors – Scholarship Program:
Are you going to college next year? Would some additional funds assist you in your endeavor? Kurtis Hubbell (2012), Emily McCrone (2013), Brianne Turnbull (2015) and Jade McVay (2016) have been recipients of the CBC High School Senior Scholarship. This Scholarship program is for all high school seniors. All applicants will be recognized at the State competition. Included in this email is the application. Julia McCrone will be putting together a Senior Board in recognition of ALL our high school seniors. Please see Julia to be included.
PHMC and State Competitions:
We received numerous compliments with the formats for PHMC and State, so we will continue again this year. Stay tuned for a complete itinerary for these competitions.
CBC continues to gain information on all of our past twirlers. If you know of former athletes please have them connect with Barbara Docktor or Kristine Rodrigues. We would love to reconnect with our alumni and have special recognition of these wonderful athletes at our competitions.
In order to ensure that CBC is conscious of our carbon footprint, we will discontinue the paper Chitchat that Barbara Dockter published for multiple years. I would like to thank Barbara for her commitment to publishing the important information. Instead of the paper Chitchat, we will continue with the email communication through constant contacts. Please let us know how you like this form of new communication. In addition, it will also appear on the CBC website www.cabatoncouncil.com. Please “Like” us on Facebook as we will announce a lot of information on this social media website.
We value your input, and appreciate the responses we received throughout the season. Please feel free to contact any one of the Board Members with questions, concerns, or ideas for improvement. We look forward to receiving continued feedback from all of you throughout this season.
As this season gets started, we are excited to see the growth in all the current athletes and look forward to all those fresh faces that are new to this awesome sport. The CBC Board is looking forward to another successful twirling season with our California athletes.
Kristine M. Rodrigues
President, California Baton Council
For photos and more information, check the CA Baton Council Facebook Page