Here are some tips for filling out entry forms for USTA contests:
ALL USTA CONTESTS –
LOCAL, STATE, REGIONALS, NATIONALS, TRIALS, PRE-TRIALS, INT’L CUP
- A copy of your USTA Card not required with your entry, just USTA number. However, if your USTA membership dues are not current in the database, you will not be allowed to enter unless you send in proof that they have been paid (a receipt from USTA) or you pay the Non-Member Fee. The people in charge of contest entries waste so much time dealing with this problem. Please help them out and renew early.
- If you enter Compulsories and Movement Technique, you must take your Compulsory Record Book to the competition so the results can be entered there.
- For local contests, you may pay a Non-Member Fee of $5.00. If you enter more than one contest per year or enter State or Regionals, this is not a bargain. It is best to buy or renew your membership in the Fall when you are not in a rush to have it recorded. The Non-Member Fee cannot be used at the USTA National Championships.
- List ALL coaches you have had for the past six months on the entry form. If you do not and that coach is scheduled to judge you or your team, you will not be allowed to compete. The contest organizer has no way of knowing which judges cannot evaluate you unless you write down their names.
- Send your entry in early. The order of competition for regular contests is generally set so that the competitors with the earliest entries twirl last in their category. While a Contest Director cannot guarantee this, it is the GENERAL rule.
- Age is determined by your age as of December 31st of the year of the contest.
- Most contest Directors are taking PayPal for payments if you wish. Be sure to add the PayPal fee and use the Excel (.xls) form when you E-mail it.
- Proof of passing compulsories is not required IF the records are in the USTA database. You can check that at http://www.ustwirling.com/Main/Login.aspx
- You must have PASSED the Compulsory Level and the Movement Technique Level at which you are competing. For Trials, all Freestyle athletes must have PASSED the Elite Compulsories and Elite Movement Technique.
- You must be an American citizen to compete in World Trials and International Cup.
- Proof of passport is not required for World Trials or International Cup Trials until you qualify for the World Team or International Cup Team . If you qualify and a copy of that passport is not in the hands of USTA by the assigned deadline, YOU WILL NOT COMPETE! A copy of your passport application WILL NOT SUFFICE!
- A medical clearance is not required for World Trials or International Cup Trials. It is, however, required for the competition. If you qualify for the World Team or International Cup Team and a copy of that clearance is not in the hands of USTA by the deadline, YOU WILL NOT COMPETE!
- The Music Information Form is still required. This has been a huge problem in the past. Please fill it out carefully and completely or your entry may be returned. If you do not have the original copy of the music, that information is often available on the Internet, but it is up to you to find it. A common mistake is to list the singer instead of the composer. The name of the singer is not required; it is the composer’s name that is required.
THE BIG QUESTION? HOW DO I KNOW IF THE COMPULSORY AND CURRENT MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION IN THE DATABASE IS CURRENT?
- Check online at http://www.ustwirling.com/Main/Login.aspx. Each member’s information is also available at the Members Only section of the USTA web site.
- Enclose a copy of your current USTA card.
- Enclose your proof of passing Compulsories and Movement Technique. They will be checked against the current database and if necessary, the database will be updated. The Compulsory Records from contests are occasionally misplaced or lost in the mail before they are recorded in the database. It is up to you to keep your own records.
- Be sure to INCLUDE YOUR CURRENT E-MAIL ADDRESS on your entry where you can be reached and check it daily. Errors and inquiries can be made and resolved much faster this way. You should use the parent’s e-mail address if the parent takes responsibility for contest entries. To be absolutely sure, put both yours and your child’s e-mail addresses. Separate them on the form with a comma.
- WRITE LEGIBLY on your form.
- MOST IMPORTANT – SEND YOUR ENTRY EARLY. There are no faxed entries. If your entry has a problem, you will still have time to resolve it before the deadline. Even if you enter online, you must still send the supporting documents in order to qualify. DO NOT RELY ON THE HOPE THAT ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION IS IN THE DATABASE.
OTHER TOPICS PARENTS MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN